Monday, May 11, 2009

Mondays and More

Every morning, and Monday mornings in particular, feels like the start of something, like new beginnings. Thanks to everyone for your comments here on my blog, and your emails and phone calls. I truly appreciate your concern and support. I'm doing much better, thank you. In addition to all of you, the following quotes have really helped me put things in perspective:

Art is never chaste. It ought to be forbidden to ignorant innocents, never allowed into contact with those not sufficiently prepared. Yes, art is dangerous. Where it is chaste, it is not art.--Pablo Picasso.

Focus on what's right in your life instead of what's wrong.--M.J. Ryan.

That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet.--Emily Dickinson.

Life will bring you pain all by itself. Your responsibility is to create joy.--Milton Erickson, M.D.

Foremost in my thoughts: love, peace, health, balance, and being true to myself. I wish the same for all of you.

6 comments:

  1. Ethel,

    keep your head up. You're fearless. You'll be fearless again....so don't hiatus for too long. This underground literary scene needs your noise. Spit fire and bang the drums. Life is fun, and funny.

    Best, Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Mel,

    Thanks for your kind words. I'm getting there, kicking hard.

    Congratulations on "Check The Engine Light" in Bound Off. Sad. We've no idea what people are dealing with every day, do we?

    All best,

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ethel. And congrats to you on your forthcoming piece at Bound Off. Nice people. They do good work.

    I feel like me, you, and David Erlewine are playing a game of tag. It's amazing how small the community actually is when you step back and look at it. It's always nice to see your name pop up when the credits roll. You have a far cooler sounding name than me....anyway....

    Keep kicking hard. Catch your breath, plunge your head into a bucket of ice water, then get back in the ring. 50 is a great start. Imagine what 2010 will bring. Lots of work to do. You're just getting warmed up.

    Best, Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel,

    "50 is a great start." You're a tough taskmaster, but I so appreciate the support. I'm always delighted to see your name in an issue too.

    Ethel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your story in Bartleby Snopes - congrats on winning the story of the month! Impressive! There are some good ones there for May. Also, I look forward to seeing your work in PANK, Foundling Review and Identity Theory - nice sites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen,

    Thanks so much for visiting, and for your kind words. I truly appreciate your time and feedback. I'm always humbled and touched by "strangers" finding my blog and work; it drives home how we writers write and send out our work into the world never knowing who or where it will reach, but always hoping ...

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete