Tuesday, June 23, 2009

kill author

I admit I felt conflicted about submitting to a new magazine with the above name. However, intrigued, I checked out their website, and despite the absence of a masthead, liked what I saw and read: “The birth of the reader must be at the cost of the death of the author” - Roland Barthes. I thought I'd try my hand.

I received a swift and favorable response, had a couple of follow-up emails where I made some minor changes to my story, and the editors questioned a word choice (they were right and I was wrong) and the debut issue launched yesterday, packed with wonderful writers and poets and their works.

I have to say I'm more than impressed with this high-quality first issue, and really like the direction this magazine has taken. The magazine is a terrific read, and looks great. I also appreciate their black and white author photos and the image they chose to accompany each work. To name just three, be sure to read Kyle Hemmings' "We Are All Refugees of This World," Cortney McLellan's "The Mattress," and Sara Crowley's "Kitchen Sink (no) Drama." I'm thrilled to be in such excellent company.

Everyone wants to know the peeps behind kill author. Personally, I'm okay with not knowing. It's all about the work, right? Theirs and ours. Perhaps their philosophy is that the birth of the magazine must be at the cost of the death of the editors?

Long may we all live and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment