Monday, October 12, 2009

Amen Pokrass & Gerke



I attended Pedestal's reading at Book Passage in Corte Madera Saturday night. John Amen, Pedestal's founder and Editor, lead a wonderful line-up of poets, and Flash Fiction was more than ably represented by Meg Pokrass and Greg Gerke. Meg and Greg both read excellent flashes, Meg from work published in Pindeldyboz and Annalemma, and Greg from his debut Flash collection "There's Something Wrong with Sven."

There were approximately ten readers, and the event ran almost two hours. That's long. My ass numbed and legs felt restless. The mingling afterwards is hard too. I find small-chat painful. Still, it's necessary and in this case worth it. How else do we connect? I've met Meg twice before and it was a pleasure to see her again, and to listen to her read. Greg Gerke is on a West Coast tour to promote "There's Something Wrong with Sven," and it was a real pleasure to meet him. I bought his book, and very much look forward to the full read.

7 comments:

  1. Also: I think that just won for Creepiest Cover Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I take it you're not a cat lover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ER, I'm jealous. Sounds like it was a great event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous too. That sounds fun, numb ass and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Laura and Mel, it was great. I hope someday we can all get together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ethel. I hope you enjoy the book. I recommend 'Travels with Pawdy.' Though maybe there are mistaken references to your home land. Yes, small chat. I like large chat. Come to Dog-Eared on the 24th. I look forward to Dogzplot the next day.

    I loved 'Rocket Into a Pocket.' Funny and savage. I'll be waiting for your book.

    By the way, this is Greg G. I know it will show up weird as Bergman something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greg, thanks for visiting. I'd love to make the 24th, but not sure I can. I'll certainly try.

    And I'll check out TRAVELS WITH PAWDY.

    Cheers, Ethel.

    ReplyDelete